12 June 2002

On the beach

Spent a very enjoyable day at the university's Coastal Studies Lab on South Padre Island. The main reason to be out there was to participate in a photo op staged by the university's public relations office. I ended up in some photos with me showing off something biological to a bunch of students. Sometimes pretend ("Okay guys, imagine this rock is actually a little crab...") and -- luckily enough! -- something real, too. I was able to pull some beautiful little Lepidopa sand crabs out of the beach, who made it into the shoot.

That was the other main reason I was out at South Padre Island: to collect some animals, and see what's out there. I spent the morning on a shrimping boat, see just what came up in their nets besides shrimp. It turned out to be quite a few things, besides shrimp, and some should be rather interesting for me, research-wise.

No comments: